Pitt Med Trivia, Spring ‘23
Can you answer these without looking up the answers? (We encourage you to call doctors-in-the-know for consults.)
Instructions - Hover over the empty space next to the "Answer" text to reveal the correct answer.
1. What Pitt Med graduate won a Nobel Prize for his discovery of cortisone’s application to rheumatoid arthritis?
2. At what hospital did med students, pre-1999, look forward to their rotation so they could catch a glimpse of Panther games?
3. Who popularized the use of the surgical stapler in the United States?
4. Multiple choice: Who founded Presbyterian Hospital (now UPMC Presbyterian)?
A) The Rev. Stephen Dows Thaw, son of banker and philanthropist Benjamin Thaw Sr. and Elma Ellsworth Dows
B) Andrew Carnegie, industrialist and philanthropist
C) Louise Lyle, a newcomer to Pittsburgh and newly minted MD, with $5 in her purse
C: Louise Lyle, a newcomer to Pittsburgh and newly minted MD, with $5 in her purse
5. Multiple choice: Pitt Med’s MD Class of ’22 published how many manuscripts during their med school years?